Sunday, April 9, 2017

Events Like Me

And then the president
Or someone blew up the buildings.
Then the mongrels took over. 
They made it plain as day,
Heartless tongues awag. 
They cut along the dotted line,
Two snakes emerged, each
A hissing lullaby for the baby
Bundles out on a limb. 
Then the whole nation wept. 
The whole weeping nation then wept
For revenge.  Patriot nobodies
Built bonfires at the center of the park.
One neighbor has two of everything. 
One likes the challenge of bows
And arrows.  Spark ribbons
Twirl in the black sky.
Fire burns up all the best ideas. 
The fire’s idea rises on its own heat
Like a balloon or a diver
Has to hold it in, yellow flames
Glide by on the fender of a 50
Something outlined in silvery light. 
Smiles recreate the moment,
Mother folding laundry, her back a curve
Of aches and pains like a sea-bitten
Tree.  I taste salt on my lips, as it
Was and should be, of earth
When it comes to me, in my heart that bleeds.
Around the planet the same probe
Takes place, the same pace
Of inquiry, the same
Interrogation. Money talks
Up what money makes
Like we speak lovingly of babies,
Milestones of growing old,
Of apples and pears,
Money is life enough for money
To bear, playing songs
It loves itself to hear.  Can I last
Out those who now rise up
Like their grandfathers
Against enemies of the word,
Enemies of rolling Rs, coughing
Gs, the straight and narrow Ss?
Friends of a god whose martyrdom
Masquerades as a misery party
Of unrequited love?
That’s when I think it’s good
To be a mortal, when I appreciate
Such a limited event as me.
And yet I have my days 
When even that's too much
Nothingness to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment